Thursday, July 9, 2009

If looks could kill...

I would be dead.

Exhibit A: I accidentally went the wrong way in the U-Village parking lot- opps! As I am about to exit my error... a woman unaffected by my wrong feels the need to wave her hands and say "you're going the wrong way" & I reply apologetically, " I know" AND she responds- hands raised in outrage, " YOU KNOW!!" and goes off to rant to her friend about people these days and the mistakes that she never makes- goodness be nice I have baby on board.

Exibit B: I am driving in my neighborhood and make it to a stop sign- so I stop- inch up- stop- see a biker... think to myself I'll let him go (pat myself on the back)... he looks at me- ANGRY! How dare you inch into my bike lane! A flick of the rist and he's off to leave no carbon foot print, but wafes his bad attitude to all those car users. Biker Snob.

Exibit C: After a really busy day, I run out to do one last errand. I am driving down my street, not even a block from my house & this dog runs out in front of me- I slam on the brakes & my heart goes up in my throat. AHHH!!!! No thud and the dog runs off... thank the Lord. I proceed at tortoise speed with my hand over my racing heart. A lady walking her dog saw the whole thing and looks at me- shaking her head, lips turned up- no empathy. Dogs do no wrong.

What I have learned: have a little grace and for goodness sake be nice- it actually feels really good.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on handling it so well. Turning the other cheek and whatnot. The important thing to remember is not to become vexatious at others lack of grace. I often find that the best way to deal with people angry with you is to return a blessing, and possibly a small thank you. Most people are so unused to it that their anger will immediately be diffused and they will respond in kind.

    As for your exhibits... A: All too often, people will try to ignore or cover up their own insecurities by finding fault with others. Wish her well, and the strength and perseverance to face her own troubles, and possibly a little grace and tolerance for the other people around her who are not perfect either. B: This response was most likely generated by fear. He didn't know what you were going to do and the possibility for injuring him was quite high. Forgive him for his reaction, and ask his forgiveness for, in whtever small way provoking it. Be careful though, thinking of him as a "biker snob" is probably unjustified. C: Probably didn't see the whole incident, and the head shake might not necessarily have been directed at you, but the owner of the dog who would have let it run loose. Just be grateful that nothing and no one was injured.

    A small thought in closing. You generally find what you look for. Look for the bad and it's there, look for the good and you will find it.

    ReplyDelete